How to relocate to Canada from Nigeria

This page covers some of the more common permanent entry routes to Canada: How to relocate to Canada from Nigeria

How to relocate to Canada from Nigeria

How to move from Nigeria to Canada

Nigerian immigration to Canada has become increasingly popular in recent years. Nigeria is one of the main source countries of Canada's immigrant population; over 15,000 Nigerians immigrated to Canada in 2021.

If you plan to move permanently or for an extended period to Canada, then you should look for immigration routes that offer long-term or permanent residency.

It is best to apply for a Temporary Resident visa, which is only valid for six months if it has been specifically requested by an employer or sponsor who intends to arrange a permanent visa for you once you arrive in Canada.

This page covers some of the more common permanent entry routes to Canada:

Express Entry

Canadian Experience Class

Federal Skilled Worker Program

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Provincial Nominee Program

Family Sponsorship

Startup and business options.

Relocating to a new country takes a considerable amount of time and preparation. The application process and cost will differ according to which route you take and if you bring dependents. There will be considerably more to organize if you are planning to relocate to Canada rather than enter through temporary means permanently.

In general, applications can take up to six months of processing time, with temporary visas more likely taking 1 to 2 months. However, this could take longer, depending on your particular circumstances.

To prove that you have the means to support yourself while in Canada, you will usually need to show that you have the equivalent of around $13,000 CAN dollars per applicant per year.

If you relocate to Canada through an economic immigration scheme, then you will need to prove significant sums of money that you plan to invest in Canada through your Company. You may have to invest in a Canadian Company or offer an interest-free loan to a province or the federal government.

You will need to be sure that you have all relevant documents ready when you enter immigration controls in Canada. This includes:

Confirmation of Permanent Residence (if applicable)

Valid passport

Valid Permanent resident visa (if applicable)

Quebec Selection Certificate (if applicable)

Any other document that may have been issued to you by the Canadian government.

    Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

A path for skilled workers with work experience.

International students and skilled foreign workers can use the Canadian Experience Class to fast-track their permanent residence. 

You must:

Meet the required language levels for your job. When you take language tests for your CEC application, it is valid for two years.

Have at least one year of skilled working experience in Canada in the last three years before you apply. The experience includes:

a. A full-time job could translate into 30 hours/week for twelve months.

b. An equal amount of time in a part-time work position 

c. Full-time work at more than one job (30 hours a week at more than one).

Have work experience in Canada under temporary resident status with authorization to work.

Under the National Occupation Category (NOC), there is a specific classification for each job if it must be eligible for CEC.

If you graduated from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you can improve your rank in the Express Entry pool by working under a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). 

In addition, as an international student, you can complete an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) to determine how your education is equivalent to a completed certificate, degree, or diploma from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary institution.

2. Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Program

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program uses the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to rank applicants desirous of relocating to Canada permanently. As a result, you don't need work experience before you can use FSW.

However, you must meet some requirements based on the following:

Work Experience: You have at least twelve months of continuous, full-time, skilled work experience 

Skilled work experience refers to experience classified under NOC Skill Level 0, A, or B.

Language Proficiency: You require a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 7 on an approved English or French language test.

Education: Applicants require a minimum of a Canadian high school diploma or the equivalent.

Financial Support: You need enough support fun to settle in the country.

Residence in Canada: Applicants must reside outside of Quebec.

You should score 67 out of 100 points on the FSW eligibility points grid.

3. Federal Skilled Trades (FST)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) allows people with work experience and no connection to Canada or job offers to apply for permanent residence.

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

One year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past ten years in a skilled occupation classified under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A, or B;

Validated language ability equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 

Canadian educational credential (certificate, diploma, or degree) or foreign credential and Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report.

Score at least 67 points on IRCC's six immigration selection factors.

Prove enough funds

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) 

You can use the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) that covers the thirteen provinces and territories in the country. However, each province operates its own immigration programs, Provincial Nominee Programs, or PNPs. 

You can use it to get your Canadian permanent residence. In addition, if you get nominated via PNP with the support of Express Entry, you earn an extra 600 Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points. 

Hence, you are guaranteed to receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence in the next Express Entry draw.

Family Sponsorship 

Canadian immigration places top priority on family reunification. Canada allows citizens to sponsor their family members to the country. If you want to support a family member as a permanent resident under family class sponsorship, you need to fulfil the following conditions:

Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada aged at least 18 years.

Reside in Canada.

Have funds to provide financial support to the sponsored person 

In addition, you must comply with additional requirements like meeting financial obligations, including support for sponsored family members on time, not receiving social assistance (except for reason of disability), a clean criminal record, etc.

Canada's Startup Visa Program

You can relocate to Canada with a startup visa. How does this work? If you have an innovative business idea, you can use this program. The country seeks talented entrepreneurs who will stimulate the Canadian economy with their businesses while creating employment opportunities for its residents.

Other Federal Economic Programs 

Do you have a job offer in the country's rural, in-demand field or Atlantic region? You may apply for permanent residence through another federal economic program because the country offers various financial pilot programs to fill labour or demographic gaps in specific areas or sectors.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is there an age limit to apply for under the FSW program? 

FSW has no age limit, but after age 35, you will begin to lose points toward the FSW eligibility requirement. For this reason, if you have lower age points, you may need to increase your eligibility points through other factors.

2. Can my spouse and children be included in my FSW application? 

Under the Federal Skilled Worker route, you may include your spouse and kids on the application for permanent residence. 

3. Can I include my parents on my Federal Skilled Worker application? 

Your parents must be excluded from an application for permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Worker program. However, you can bring them in when you have become a permanent resident.

How We Can Help You

We handle your cross-border payments and student loans to Canada and the United States. So contact us today to start your Canadian Immigration journey on the right foot.